JD Vance Says Iran Rejects Trump’s Red Lines as US Keeps Military Option on Table

Vice President signals diplomacy remains preferred path, but warns President Trump retains authority to end talks if progress stalls

Published: 15 hours ago

By Ashish kumar

JD Vance
JD Vance Says Iran Rejects Trump’s Red Lines as US Keeps Military Option on Table

Tensions between Washington and Tehran remain high following a fresh round of indirect negotiations in Geneva over Iran’s nuclear program. US Vice President JD Vance stated that Iran has yet to agree to key conditions set by President Donald Trump for achieving a diplomatic breakthrough, even as both sides agreed to continue discussions.

Speaking to Fox News after Tuesday’s sessions, Vance offered a mixed assessment of the talks. He noted that while dialogue would continue, significant disagreements persist regarding what he described as the President’s “red lines.”

Vance: Iran Yet to Acknowledge Key Conditions

Appearing on The Story with Martha MacCallum, Vance said the negotiations produced limited clarity.

“In some ways, it went well; they agreed to meet afterwards,” Vance said. “But in other ways, it was very clear that the President has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through.”

While he did not elaborate publicly on the specifics of those red lines, administration officials have previously indicated that Washington is seeking stricter limitations on Iran’s uranium enrichment, enhanced monitoring mechanisms, and broader regional security assurances.

Military Option Still on the Table

With diplomatic efforts delicately balanced, Vance reiterated that President Trump continues to prioritize negotiations but has not ruled out stronger measures if talks collapse.

“We would very much like, as the President has said, to resolve this through a conversation in a diplomatic negotiation,” Vance stated. “But the President has all options on the table.”

He further emphasized that Trump retains the ultimate authority to determine when Diplomacy has reached its limits.

“We will continue to work on it. However, the President retains the authority to declare when he believes that diplomacy has reached its inevitable conclusion. We hope we don’t get to that point, but if we do, that will be the President’s call,” he added.

Progress Reported, But Gaps Remain

US officials familiar with the Geneva discussions acknowledged that some forward movement was made. However, they cautioned that substantial gaps remain between the two sides.

According to a senior US official, the Iranian delegation has committed to presenting more detailed proposals within the next two weeks in an effort to narrow differences and clarify its positions. Washington is awaiting those proposals before determining the next course of action.

The talks come at a critical moment, as President Trump has made Iran’s nuclear program a central foreign policy priority. He has repeatedly warned of “serious consequences” if Tehran refuses to accept stringent restrictions.

Tehran Signals Optimism, But Issues Warning

On the Iranian side, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi expressed cautious optimism following the Geneva discussions, suggesting that a potential opening for agreement may exist.

“A new window has opened,” Araghchi said after addressing a UN disarmament conference in Geneva. He expressed hope that negotiations could lead to a “sustainable and negotiated solution” serving the interests of all relevant parties and contributing to regional stability.

At the same time, he warned that Iran remains prepared to defend itself against any perceived aggression. According to Araghchi, any military strike on Iran would have consequences extending beyond its borders, signaling Tehran’s readiness to respond if conflict escalates.

Background: A History of Friction

President Trump has consistently maintained a hardline stance on Iran’s nuclear ambitions. During his first term, he withdrew the United States from a previous nuclear agreement, arguing that it failed to adequately restrain Tehran’s activities.

Since then, tensions have periodically flared, with Washington pushing for tighter controls and Tehran accusing the US of economic and political pressure. Trump has, on multiple occasions, indicated that force remains an option if diplomatic efforts fail.

The latest indirect talks were led on the US side by Trump’s envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. The discussions were hosted at the residence of Oman’s ambassador to the United Nations, reflecting Oman’s longstanding role as a regional mediator. An earlier round of negotiations was held in Oman on February 6.

What Comes Next?

With both sides publicly acknowledging progress yet privately conceding unresolved disputes, the coming weeks could prove decisive. The Iranian delegation’s promised proposals are expected to clarify Tehran’s stance on enrichment limits, inspections, and compliance mechanisms.

For now, diplomacy continues — but under the shadow of escalating rhetoric and the persistent possibility of military confrontation. As Vice President Vance underscored, the final judgment on whether talks proceed or end will ultimately rest with President Trump.

For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest World on thefoxdaily.com.

COMMENTS 0

Author image
About the Author
Ashish kumar

Ashish Kumar is the creative mind behind The Fox Daily, where technology, innovation, and storytelling meet. A passionate developer and web strategist, Ashish began exploring the web when blogs were hand-coded, and CSS hacks were a rite of passage. Over the years, he has evolved into a full-stack thinker—crafting themes, optimizing WordPress experiences, and building platforms that blend utility with design. With a strong footing in both front-end flair and back-end logic, Ashish enjoys diving into complex problems—from custom plugin development to AI-enhanced content experiences. He is currently focused on building a modern digital media ecosystem through The Fox Daily, a platform dedicated to tech trends, digital culture, and web innovation. Ashish refuses to stick to the mainstream—often found experimenting with emerging technologies, building in-house tools, and spotlighting underrepresented tech niches. Whether it's creating a smarter search experience or integrating push notifications from scratch, Ashish builds not just for today, but for the evolving web of tomorrow.

... Read More