South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has claimed that the United States reversed its earlier decision to boycott the G20 summit in Johannesburg, asserting that washington reached out at the “11th hour” to signal its interest in attending.
The White House, however, has flatly denied any such change. Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt reiterated that the US administration will not participate in the summit’s proceedings and accused Ramaphosa of “running his mouth.”
President Donald Trump had previously declared that his administration would boycott the two-day gathering, citing allegations that South Africa is “violently persecuting” white minority farmers – a claim the South African government has repeatedly dismissed as false.
Speaking on Thursday, Ramaphosa said Washington unexpectedly contacted Pretoria expressing a desire to attend. “The United States is a member of the G20, an original member, so they have the right to be here,” he said, adding that South Africa was now assessing the “practicalities” of potential US involvement.
According to the Associated Press, a White House official later confirmed that a representative from the US Embassy in Pretoria would be present only for the official handover ceremony marking the transfer of the G20 presidency from South Africa to the United States. The official stressed that the US would not take part in summit discussions or deliberations.
BOYCOTT CONTROVERSY CASTS SHADOW OVER SUMMIT OUTCOME
Ramaphosa has repeatedly warned that Washington’s boycott could undermine efforts to secure a unified G20 declaration. South African officials revealed earlier this week that the US had advised Pretoria against issuing a collective communiqué, arguing that an agreement would be impossible without American participation.
Instead, the US suggested issuing a limited statement – a proposal Ramaphosa firmly rejected. “A declaration will be made. The negotiations are going very well,” he insisted. “The G20 process is proceeding without the United States. We will not be bullied.”
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz expressed hope for “joint decisions,” though he acknowledged that the final outcome remained uncertain.
Relations between Washington and Pretoria have grown increasingly strained since Trump returned to office. In May, during a meeting at the White House, Trump confronted Ramaphosa with what officials described as unfounded allegations of widespread violence against Afrikaners. He has continued to accuse South Africa’s Black-led government of implementing “racist anti-white policies.”
Earlier this year, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also skipped a meeting in February, criticizing South Africa’s agenda – which focused on debt relief for developing countries, inequality and climate action – as an inappropriate use of US taxpayer money.
For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest World on thefoxdaily.com.
COMMENTS 0