Itamar Ben-Gvir Gaza Remarks Spark Global Outrage

Itamar Ben-Gvir's call for more killings in Gaza sparks outrage as Israel rejects a US proposal and insists Hamas must be disarmed before withdrawal.

Published: 48 minutes ago

By Ashish kumar

Hamas hands over two hostage bodies as Israel continues to strike Gaza
Itamar Ben-Gvir Gaza Remarks Spark Global Outrage

Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has sparked fresh outrage after publicly advocating for the killing of “30 to 40” people in Gaza every night. His remarks came as Israel rejected a 15-point proposal from US President Donald Trump concerning the future of the territory.

Ben-Gvir, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu‘s cabinet, made the comments while discussing Israel’s military campaign in Gaza and his disagreement with what he described as a reduction in Israeli strikes.

The remarks were made during an interview with Rom Braslavski, who was previously held hostage in Gaza, on Braslavski’s podcast. Palestinian media subsequently circulated the comments.

Ben-Gvir calls for more killings in Gaza

During the podcast, Ben-Gvir said he disagreed with Netanyahu over the pace and scale of Israeli military operations in Gaza.

“I see all of Gaza as ours,” Ben-Gvir said, according to the supplied report.

He also spoke in favour of expanding Israeli settlements in Gaza and encouraging what he described as emigration from the territory.

Discussing military operations, Ben-Gvir said he believed targeted assassinations should continue and advocated killing “30 to 40” people every night.

He went beyond targeting people he described as immediate threats, saying that there were people in Gaza who, in his words, were “not worthy of life.”

The comments have drawn condemnation because of their broad language regarding people in Gaza and their apparent call for continued lethal military action.

Ben-Gvir criticises reduction in Gaza strikes

The minister’s comments came during a discussion about Israel’s response to the October 7, 2023, Hamas attack and the subsequent war in Gaza.

According to the supplied report, Ben-Gvir criticised Israel’s recent reduction in strikes against Gaza. He made clear that his position differed from that of Netanyahu on the issue.

The remarks are particularly significant because Ben-Gvir is a serving member of Netanyahu’s cabinet and has previously taken hardline positions on the Gaza conflict.

His comments have therefore added to political divisions within Israel over how the war should proceed and what should happen to Gaza after the conflict.

Remarks condemned over alleged genocidal intent

Statements made by Ben-Gvir and other Israeli officials concerning Gaza have previously faced international condemnation.

The supplied report states that similar remarks have been presented before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) as evidence cited in arguments concerning alleged genocidal intent.

Israel has rejected accusations that it is committing genocide in Gaza and has maintained that its military campaign is directed against Hamas and other armed groups.

The legal question of genocide remains separate from political statements by individual officials. Whether conduct meets the legal definition of genocide is ultimately a matter for the relevant judicial process and cannot be established simply by the existence of controversial remarks.

October 7 attack triggered the Gaza war

The current conflict began after Hamas carried out its October 7, 2023, attack on Israel.

According to the supplied material, around 1,200 people were killed in the attack, while 251 people were taken hostage.

The attack triggered Israel’s military campaign in Gaza and a wider regional conflict involving Israel, Hamas and other armed groups, including Lebanon-based Hezbollah and Yemen’s Houthi rebels.

The war has resulted in extensive casualties and destruction in Gaza, while the fate of Israeli and other hostages has remained a central issue throughout the conflict.

More than 1,250 killed since ceasefire, report says

Despite the announcement of a US-backed ceasefire last October, Israel has continued to carry out strikes in Gaza, according to the supplied report.

Gaza’s Health Ministry has reported that more than 1,250 people have been killed since the ceasefire agreement came into effect.

The figures are provided by Gaza’s Health Ministry and, as with casualty figures during an active conflict, may be subject to later verification or revision.

The continued violence has raised questions over the durability of the ceasefire and the prospects for a broader political settlement.

Israel rejects Trump’s 15-point Gaza proposal

The controversy surrounding Ben-Gvir’s remarks comes alongside disagreement between Israel and the Trump administration over a proposed plan for Gaza.

Trump’s Board of Peace said in July that it had reached an agreement aimed at the “complete disarmament” of Hamas and other armed groups operating in Gaza.

The proposal formed part of a broader 15-point framework concerning the territory.

However, Netanyahu subsequently rejected the document, saying, “Israel rejects the 15-point document.”

The disagreement highlights the competing positions over what should happen to Gaza, the role of Hamas and the conditions under which Israeli forces might withdraw.

Netanyahu insists Hamas must be disarmed

The Israeli government has maintained that Hamas must be disarmed before Israel can fully leave Gaza.

According to the supplied material, Israel has said its military will not leave the territory until Hamas is “genuinely” disarmed.

That position remains one of the central obstacles in negotiations over Gaza’s future. While proposals have focused on disarmament and a possible political framework, Israel continues to emphasise security guarantees and the removal of Hamas’s military capabilities.

Ben-Gvir’s latest remarks represent an even harder position, with the minister explicitly arguing for continued targeted killings and a much more aggressive military approach.

A widening debate over Gaza’s future

The comments come at a critical point in the conflict, as international efforts seek to establish a durable arrangement for Gaza while violence continues.

The central questions include whether Hamas can be disarmed, whether Israeli forces will withdraw, how Gaza will be governed and whether displaced Palestinians will be able to return and rebuild their lives.

Ben-Gvir’s advocacy for Israeli settlements in Gaza adds another contentious element to that debate. He said he viewed the territory as belonging to Israel and called for settlements beyond the former Gush Katif bloc.

His position contrasts with international proposals focused on ending the conflict and establishing a post-war framework for Gaza.

What happens next?

Ben-Gvir’s comments are likely to intensify debate within Israel and internationally over the conduct of the Gaza war and the government’s long-term objectives.

The remarks also come as Netanyahu’s government weighs its position on Trump’s 15-point proposal and maintains that Hamas must be disarmed before Israeli forces leave Gaza.

For Palestinians, the continued strikes and reported casualties remain a major humanitarian concern. For Israel, the government continues to frame Hamas’s disarmament and security as central conditions for ending the military campaign.

The competing positions leave the future of Gaza uncertain, with negotiations over disarmament, Israeli withdrawal, Governance and reconstruction still unresolved.

For now, Ben-Gvir’s call for killing dozens of people every night has added another layer to an already intense political and diplomatic dispute, while Israel’s rejection of Trump’s proposal raises further questions about the direction of the conflict and efforts to secure a lasting ceasefire.

FAQs

  • What did Itamar Ben-Gvir say about Gaza?
  • Who is Itamar Ben-Gvir?
  • Why did Ben-Gvir criticise Israel's Gaza strikes?
  • What happened on October 7, 2023?
  • What is Trump's 15-point Gaza proposal?
  • Why did Israel reject the US Gaza proposal?
  • What does Israel say about withdrawing from Gaza?
  • Why have Ben-Gvir's Gaza remarks drawn condemnation?

For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest World on thefoxdaily.com.

COMMENTS 0